Essential information on Raspberry Pi.
- Which is latest Raspberry Pi?
- What is this Raspberry Pi?
- Who can use it?
- Is it similar to using computer/laptop?
- Does it have Mac OS/ Windows OS?
- Here is the list of accessories you need to get started.
- Useful links
- Visit our store to buy Raspberry Pi 2 Model B starter pack
Which is latest Raspberry Pi?
The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is latest edition (February 2015), It replaced the original Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+.
The main update on the latest Pi 2 Model B are:
- 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
- 1GB RAM
Like previous Raspberry Pi Model B+ it also has:
- 4 USB ports
- 40 GPIO pins
- Full DHMI port
- Ethernet port
- 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
- Camera interface (CSI)
- Display interface (DSI)
- Micro SD card slot
- VideoCore IV 3D graphics core.
What is this Raspberry Pi?
It is a low cost, credit-card sized computer design by Raspberry Pi Foundation based in UK. The goal of the foundation is to advance the education of adults and children in filed of computer & science.
Who can use it?
Anyone who wants to build /learn computer science + electronics . It is widely used by engineers, professional & educational institutes to give cost effective custom computer for user.
Is it similar to using computer/laptop?
Yes, It is one type of pocket size computer that will need extra accessories like monitor, keyboard, mouse etc . You can always use these accessories from you computer or can buy extra accessories for Pi.
Does it have Mac OS/ Windows OS?
No, It has different OS that specially design for Raspberry Pi. It supports various OS that needs to be uploaded into SD card. The NOOBS (New Out Of the Box Software) is best way to get started. It will provided you an option to install one of the OS during installation. It includes most popular Raspbian offline version in the SD card so you can install it without internet. While other included OS requires internet connection.
Here is the list of accessories you need to get started.
- Computer monitor/TV & HDMI cable
- The Pi have HDMI port that can directly connect to most of the computer monitor / TV.
- Note: Check if the computer monitor/ TV supports HDMI cable directly or if you need any special converter cable.
- Mouse & keyboard
- SD card for Operating System – Ideally 8GB SD card is required.
- Internet connection
- You can use USB WiFi connectivity or Ethernet cable to connect to the internet.
- Case – Enclosure case to avoid damage to the Raspberry Pi board.
Non – Essential accessories
- Small portable screen for Pi
- Camera – If you need to capture photos from the Pi you will need a Pi camera.
- Speaker with Audio jack
- For electronics prototypes
- Pi proto shield – The bread port with Pi pin out specially design for Pi.
- Pi grove shield – The grove family have more than 150 types of sensors/IOs that can be utilise to make electronics
- All the basic information of the Raspberry Pi could be found at – https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
- List of frequently asked questions can be found here – https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/
- To purchase starter kit for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B visit our store – http://www.pakronics.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-starter-kit